Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What do you listen to or watch when you paint?




This has always been an interesting topic that I have had at LGS to hear what people like to listen or watch while they are working on their hobby.

Personally, I tend to either log into Hulu and find a show that I have never seen before or care to watch start to finish to relive the old days of years past. Of late I have been watching "Alias Smith and Jones" an old west series that is rather good. I also enjoy watching "Being Human" and "Grimm" as sources of horror...

Many times I just like to crank up some good music in general and throw in a CD of Sister's of Mercy or flip over to a Gothic/EMP/Electronic/Punk/Etc... station that just pumps out energy to me.

My favorite spot to hunt for a station is:
http://www.internet-radio.com/stations/goth/

I know some people cannot stand to have music or any type of visual thing going on as it distracts them, but to me it creates a field that baffles the world away from me while I brush, often I find it amusing as I listen to the shuffle of online music as  I find that the music fits the item I am painting...one night I recall when I was painting a priest that all these religious goth songs kept flowing out and it helped motivate me to paint.

So, tell me what inspires you? Tell me your music and visual entertainment that you enjoy. Share with the class! Or are you the quiet type that paints in the deathly quiet of a crypt?  If so, you scare me! Reminds me too much of Pickman's Model, if you never read it, you should....art and terror is all I can say!

I shall leave you with this, my favorite video out there by Sister's of Mercy!




5 comments:

  1. Usually my buddy and I will put on some B movie about the apocalypse and paint... the occasional explosions remind us to take breaks. Otherwise I'm listening to my wife on the phone. She likes to talk on the phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people dislike the phone, I have a buddy that talks to me while we talk. He jokes he has painted X on a model as we are about to hang up.

      Delete
  2. Audiobooks mostly for me when I paint. Mainly because I don't have time to read as much as before. Other than that, all variations of rock music - I think I have the album with that song you posted here but never knew what the band looked like haha :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In college that was our #1 band to listen to when we would play Vampire and other World of Darkness RPGs.

      Delete
  3. Blind Guardian and other German Metal Bands, Classical Music, Medieval Music and "Die Könige der Spielleute" Corvus Corax http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbSY9fyfO6U&feature=relmfu

    ReplyDelete